Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Some Thoughts on Growing Up

For a while I've struggled with this time in  my life and finding the beauty in this particular stage.  I'm done with school, I have a real career as a nurse, but I'm not married, I'm not even dating seriously, and I certainly don't have kids.

Recently someone implied that my lifestyle wasn't as important because I'm not married and starting a family, and my first reaction was shame.  I want all those things.  I want to have a love and snuggle babies, especially since I work with pregnant ladies and newborns everyday I'm at work.  But, my second reaction was anger.  Living in the South, it is unusual that I'm 24 and successful and still single and childless.  But it's such a great thing!  I would be the first to admit that I have some growing to do and soul searching and plenty of work that could go into my spiritual practice. Of course I could get married and have babies and be a kick ass wife and mother.  But I'm also going to be even better at it because of this time.  And that's something not many people get to say.

I think we as a society should stop shaming women for not having babies and men right out of college and start celebrating their success and dreams.  It's not sad, it's not something that we need to be ashamed of.  I've seen girls and even close friends get involved with a man and utterly lose themselves into the relationships and I feel so bad for them. I think it's time we start working on building up our self esteem and worth as women.  That's where beauty truly lies and where the most successful relationships stem from.

I'm learning to really value this time. I get the chance to find myself, travel, eat new recipes, decorate how I want, and not have to worry about other people's dinners or money or schedules.  It's a blessing.  I don't ever want to waste today because I'm dreaming about tomorrow.  I can truly say that this is one of the happiest times of my life because I make it so.

That's one lucky girl right there!

No comments:

Post a Comment